Partners in Mission
pARTNERS IN MISSION (PIMS)
Partners in Mission (PIMs) is a program of the Australian Province of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate which offers people who identify with the spirit of St Eugene de Mazenod , and the Congregation he founded, the opportunity to work as part of the Oblate Mission in China, and develop their own faith by helping others and living in community as lay missionaries.
An Oblate lay missionary is a person who:
· Volunteers their time and talents to serve God by serving others;
· Is inspired by the charism of St Eugene de Mazenod;
· Lives in community with other lay missionaries
· Undertakes a personal formation program
· Is open and willing to learn more about themselves by understanding more about others.
As a lay missionary you will assist in ministries in either Hong Kong or Beijing. These ministries may include teaching conversational English and work with sick and abandoned young children, in China. You do not need to be a trained teacher nor do you need to speak Chinese. In Beijing the services of an interpreter will be made available to you.
Teaching English is a practical benefit to the children as it provides them with a skill that assists them in gaining employment later in their lives.
Who should apply?
Anyone who is:
• Active in their faith
• Single or married
• Early 20’s to early 60’s
• Good health essential – mission activity can be strenuous and physically challenging. PIMs are required to participate in a lot of walking, climb stairs unaided, and engage in activity with children of all ages. Good respiratory health is required as exposure to air pollution and smog is likely. Anyone with a serious pre-existing illness should be aware that access to medications is extremely difficult, at times non-existent.
• Willing to learn from a different culture
• Willing to live as part of a religious community with the disciplines and benefits involved therein.
• Willing to obtain and provide police checks and working with children checks (or its equivalent.)
Hong Kong: 4- 6 months
Mission: teaching English to different groups of young people in primary school and secondary school, at times tutoring them after school.
Hong Kong: 1 month – Summer Program
Mission: teaching and tutoring conversational English to students during their summer break before their exam period
Beijing: 4 - 6 months
Mission: teaching English and working with young people.
Beijing: 2 - 3 weeks – Immersion experience
Mission: The itinerary includes teaching English, working with young people, and seeing the sights of Beijing.
How do I register my interest in applying?
Contact the Partners in Mission Co-Ordinator on 03 9805 8888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org